Thursday, January 26, 2012

coachwimpsanderson@gmail.com

HBO is doing a documentary on Joe Namath.  I thought it might be interesting to tell you about the first time I saw him when he arrived for his official visit to Alabama.

Joe lacked just a little getting into Maryland.  So Tom Nugent, the coach at Maryland called Coach Bryant about Joe.  I think Coach Bryant had coached his brother at Kentucky.  Howard Schnellenberger flew up and brought Joe to the campus.  Howard, having played at KY, had a connection as well.

We had a coaches' room in the back where all of the coaches hung out before work and shot the bull til Coach Bryant walked in.  Then it usually got real quite.  Anyway, I was back in the restroom and in walks Joe, plaid sportcoat, straw hat and a toothpick in his mouth.  That was the first time I ever saw him.

I had him on my freshman basketball team for a few games.  He was not a bad basketball player.

Then I had him in a basketball  activity class and Snake was in there too.  You had to


 dress out and do basketball drills.  I decided to tell Joe to go to the library and not come back.  I gave him a good grade, real good.  HA!!  Don't turn me in to the NCAA because the statue of limitations is in effect.

p.s. We all need to respect weather!!!!!